As Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan looks set to give us his budget speech tomorrow which should of course focus on how we he plans to cut costs, among others, I have a suggestion.
With about 1.5m taxpayers in the country – although there are no exact figures and this depends on who you listen to – who have to look after reportedly 17m people on social welfare – this is really not cool at all as it puts a lot of strain on us. But one hopes these 16 steps will go a long way in assisting him cut costs:
- We can’t sustain the social grants forever – something’s got to give;
- We can’t lose money due to corruption, maladministration, irregularity and unspent billions – some shit’s gots to go down, people must get fired within a short period of time (fairly and procedurally of course, to avoid this coming back to haunt us through reinstatements at CCMA and or any court in the land – meaning more waste of our taxes);
- We can’t have the future generation unemployed forever –something’s gots to give;
- We can’t afford such a big lists of cabinet ministers – the number has to shrink;
- We can’t have people accused of corruption on paid suspension for a long time – the rules have got to change;
- We can’t afford cabinet ministers, mayors, MECs, traditional leaders, etc. getting paid such a hell lot of money (some for doing fokol) – salaries needs to be frozen for years or some perks have got to go;
- We can’t have any investigations (unless commission of inquiries which MUST only be approved by the President) running for over a year – that’s a waste of our taxes, rules must change;
- We can’t have ministers and MECs changing cars more than once within their term – this is bullshit (unless at his/hers costs);
- We can’t have more than two cabinet reshuffle within a five-year term – this is bullshit, the President needs to sort that shit out;
- We can’t have govt departments and or state organisations footing the legal bill of people accused of corruption/irregularities/maladministration – that’s another waste of our taxes;
- We can’t have more than 1 DG on each ministry – this shit needs to stop (job creation while taxing us? Se moer!);
- NO MORE Deputy DGs or Deputy Ministers – bullshit, duplicity or no work at all costs us an arm and a leg – maybe at the minister’s costs;
- MM and counsellors must be accountable to the communities they serve, not the party that appointed them or to which they belong – fuck them, who’s paying them and who are they servicing?
- MEC and Ministers only needs to travel with one PA or one spokesperson – we can’t afford to pay people to be just tagged by the minister flying around the country, if not the world;
- The president’s official residence needs to be reduced – but one MUST BE in Pretoria – surely he has a residence of his/her own (or does s/he rent a flat?) – two fully funded by the state will be enough – these things costs money, unless of course s/he chooses to pay a third presidential residence from his pocket; and
- Scrap the Ministerial Handbook – we are made to pay a shit lot of money because of it, resulting in us taxpayers paying a hell lot more than our counterparts in other parts of the world and this worries us.
Any other costs cutting suggestions are welcome.